Thursday, September 4, 2008

I've been in Holland for 2 weeks now, and am having a wonderful journey so far. Most of my time has been spent reconnecting with friends and making new ones in the crazy, yet enchanting city of Amsterdam. I’m staying right in the Red Light District at the Shelter City, a Christian hostel.

This place is like a refuge amidst chaos. We are surrounded by sexual perversion, where girls and women loose their dignity hour-by-hour, day-by-day, week-by-week, client-by-client. Sex pervades everything, the smell of marijuana smoke wafts and looms around every corner, theft is rampant, and women are sold like meat at the slaughterhouse. Thousands of tourists roam the streets in a drunken stuper, eyes glazed over, high on any number of soft or hard drugs. I walk these beautiful streets, with the canals, bridges, and classic old architecture, and I watch people. So many lost souls, looking for something, anything to make them feel good, feel a sense of belonging. It’s a sad, sad world we live in, yet so much hope awaits those who lift their eyes unto the maker of it all. He is there, just waiting for anyone who will ask him. He is waiting, watching, weeping for those lost souls.

Look up, dear ones, to the one who created you. He is love. He loves you with more love than you can ever understand or fathom. He sees you as beautiful. Actually, he is enthralled by your beauty.

The King is enthralled by your beauty. Honor him, for he is your Lord.
~Psalm 45:11

I found a place and time to be alone the other day, and asked God what he wanted me to do with my evening. It was the first time I’d been alone since I arrived 2 weeks ago(besides a few lovely walks I’ve taken on my own). I asked God for divine appointments. Yes, appointmentS. And yes, God came through that very night!

Paul
The first was with my friend Paul. He used to work here at Shelter City (the hostel) and now lives in Portland. He has a heart for people on the streets, is a visionary, and a huge encouragement to talk big dreams with. We went on a bike ride to N. Amsterdam last night. He took me to a lovely spot on a bay filled with docked sailboats, and lined with gabled houses and cobblestone streets. We sat there under the stars in the cool of the evening, eating Dutch cheese, drinking red wine from the Basque country, and talking big dreams. He knows this city well, and was such an encouragement to me.

Elise
Upon our return, which almost didn’t happen because we missed the last ferry, then found another that runs all night, I was blessed to find the one person I’ve so desperately wanted to see here, but I had no idea how to get a hold of her. Elise (the ex-prostitute, on fire for the Lord, recovering addict, beloved sister) was sitting in the café of the hostel as the nightly prayer meeting was just ending. We remembered each other right away, from our walk and talk in March. We hugged and laughed and commented on how good each other look. We had great conversation, exchanged phone numbers, and agreed to meet again the next night. She’s got some ideas for how I can get involved on the street. She invited me to attend church with her. Her church is especially focused on womens’ ministries, particularly those recovering from abuse or addiction. Yeah!

Scharlaken Koord
Yesterday I was able to meet with the two main prostitution outreach organizations in the RLD. I stopped by the Scharlaken Koord, the Dutch Scarlet Cord, which has been in existence since 1989. Although I didn’t have an appointment, I was able to speak with the secretary for 30 minutes or so. They are a well-established social resource for women who desire to get out of prostitution. I will set an interview in a few weeks with the director of the street ministry, to see if I might fit in with their organization in some way.

The Cleft
I also met with the director of the women’s prostitution ministry at a place called The Cleft, connected with YWAM and the Salvation Army. We had an actual appointment, which she was not ready for when I arrived 10 minutes late. The streets and canals all look the same to me, and it was difficult to find the location, but nonetheless I found it, and was so very pleased when arrived.

Edna, who I was to speak with, welcomed me to sit with her and five other women, one with a baby, who were seated around a large table, learning how to make necklaces with beads and thin leather. When I realized they were all speaking Spanish, I spoke up, “¿Todas hablan español?” They all looked at me in surprise, especially Edna, who responded “You speak Spanish?!” We sat around the table and gabbed away about beading, babies, shopping, family…you name it. About a half hour later the ladies were on their way out the door and Edna and I were able to have our meeting. She informed me that three of the women were friends of hers visiting from her native Venezuela, and two are prostitutes. What a blessing! I felt right at home with those ladies, speaking Spanish and talking about life. The rest of our meeting, some of which was spoken in Spanish, went very well. (I've been hoping to find someone to keep up my Spanish with!) Edna was very receptive to hear my story, my hopes and ideas for involvement in Amsterdam. She was very encouraging and excited about the potential to work together, and seems like she is open to working with my schedule and interests. I find into coincidence that she is presently in need of a Spanish-speaking assistant for her Monday night Bible studies with prostitutes.

The Lord is so present here, and I am so very thankful. I am not alone in this place. He is with me, and has provided me with almost constant companionship and fellowship with friends old and new.

Please pray for guidance for me.

Thank you.

No comments: