Sunday, August 23, 2009

Update: concert on the water, praises and prayers for Ghaith's interview


I’ve really enjoyed this beautiful summer in Amsterdam. What an amazing and interesting city she is! Just yesterday, after our Saturday afternoon chores of grocery shopping, laundry and cleaning, we ventured out for some fresh air. As is often the case, we didn’t know exactly what we were looking for, but trusted that Amsterdam had plenty to offer. As we biked through streets and over canal bridges, we arrived at the widest canal, the Prinsengracht, to find hoards of people, bikes and strollers heading in the same direction. Ghaith and I joined in to see what could be drawing such a big crowd. A few bridges down, we arrived at the center of all the attention; a huge platform stage and lights set up, right on the water! The stage was completely surrounded by boats, for as far as they eye could see in either direction. The streets lining both sides were also covered with people sitting on the ground, in folding chairs, windows and rooftops. We asked around and found out there would be a classical concert that night on the water. We found a most perfect sitting spot between a full bike rack and the edge near the water, next to a boat full of friendly gay men who passed around tray after tray of tasty gourmet treats – each time finishing off the round by passing the tray to Ghaith and I. The concert started around 8 o’clock with a beautiful section played on piano and violin, followed by other sorts of instruments and composers. It was a lovely time. At 9 o’clock, I was surprised to see and hear an opera singer join in. Opera! I’ve wanted to go to the opera most of my life, and was overjoyed that my first chance was now! What an amazing way to spend a random evening out in the city.

As the days have passed by, some achingly slow, others zipping by in a blink, I have also been missing the summertime in Portland. Native Portlander that I am, I look forward to the wonderful Northwest summers all year. I’ve been aching for a hike in the Gorge, huckleberries picked ripe and fresh from the Mount Hood wilderness, a decent into the sacred _____ River for a cold dip (to protect the tranquility of it, I will not disclose the name of my favorite summer swimming place ;), Grandma’s blackberry cobbler served warm with vanilla ice cream, sprinkler parties with the girls, drum and guitar sessions on the porch with friends, cool evening walks through Laurelhurst Park with my father, a nice bike ride around the Esplanade. There is so much I’ve been missing, and telling Ghaith about as the memories and longings come. I can’t wait to share it all with him!

We’ve been waiting here in Amsterdam to receive Ghaith’s interview date at the U.S. Consulate. A few days ago, we received notification that his interview will be on September 14th. At this interview, a large piece of our fate as a married couple will be decided, as the consular officer will tell us if Ghaith will be given a visa to immigrate to the U.S. If they say yes (and they have no reason not to), we could be home in Portland within a few days after. My best friend’s wedding is just 4 days after Ghaith’s interview. It may be hopelessly optimistic of me, but I am praying the Lord will make it possible for us to be there, so I can stand next to my dear friend on her big day.

Please pray with Ghaith and I for his interview.
*We pray he will have favor in the eyes of those working on his case.
*We pray he will go in that room with confidence.
*We pray for fairness in the decisions made.
*We pray the Lord will make the path for us to come home.

Thank you so much for your prayers,
Tiffany & Ghaith
غيث يتفن

And a big praise and thanks to God, I have been offered a job for the month working with kids in an afterschool program. The director is able to pay me as a volunteer (to avoid paperwork and visa issues), and Ghaith can come too. They are a very difficult group of kids, but we thank God for the chance to earn some money. We’ve had so much fun working together. I do arts and crafts and Ghaith plays soccer with the kids. It is so nice to have a little money coming in. I got to splurge yesterday and buy myself some soy ice cream – expensive and difficult to find. NOW it feels like summer. ☺

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so excited for you! I know you miss the NW but dang girl, what a nice summer you're having in Amsterdam! I pray that Gaith will have a good interview and that you both will be able to come home :-)