Saturday, February 7, 2009

Scarlet Cord Friday Night Update, Feb 6th


What a wonderful night! We had three new volunteers join us tonight, Cameron, Laura and Cindy. Welcome ladies, we are glad to have you! The first part of the night was a great time, the street team, Muna, Esther, Sandy and Cameron had a good time on the streets and were able to have some nice conversations. We have been on the streets every Friday since June and it's wonderful to see that the community recognizes us, knows who we are and what we do. It's so nice to see some of our guests out and to be able to talk with them on the streets even if they don't make it in to SC for the night.

Back at home, Sarah, Laura, Cindy, Emily and myself sat back and shared some of our stories and thoughts about how we want to make an impact on our communities. It's really great to know that we are all fighting for the same thing, even in different venues, and it's great to know that it can be done! We are all just individual people, but we can do so much together!

Towards the end of the night, D, S and a new friend C came in for dinner. It was really great to see D, she got a raise at her job! We are very excited for her! S came in with C and we loaded everyone one up with food, supplies and great conversation. I was able to talk to C for a while and she says that she grew up in the neighborhood. She actually went to church in the building we use for SC! She admitted that it took a lot of convincing from S to get her to come and when she walked up to the building (her childhood church) she almost walked away. But she said that as soon as she walked through the door she knew it would be ok. She said "I've been here for a half an hour and I already feel more comfortable here than any other place." She knows she can be herself and she trusts that we are not judging her :-) It made me so happy! And, for the first time, a guest asked us what we call ourselves. I explained that we hope the Scarlet Cord is a symbol of trust, friendship and unity. C left with a smile and said she'd be back next week.

I can't say enough how amazing it is to see the love within the walls of Scarlet Cord. I can see God's love bursting through the seams and it is so beautiful! The night renewed my feelings of the power of love and I walked away with a skip in my step. I can't wait for next week!

Best,
Amanda

No comments: