Sunday, July 5, 2009

God is so good

I have been really sick for the past 3 days. I’ve had a fever on and off, migraine-like headaches, chills, achy muscles, stomach cramping and other such nasty, painful symptoms, all while my body was somehow unable to sweat or cool down without a cold shower or damp rags. I have no medical insurance, or money in the bank, so I had been hoping I could ride whatever this was out, but when day 3 came and I was still in a feverish condition, and the headache at its worst, Ghaith and I decided it was time to go to the hospital. We looked for one on our detailed Amsterdam map. The only way for us to get there was to ride our bikes.

So, fever and all, I weakly mounted my bike and we began the slow journey to St. Lucas Hospital. I was worried about money. An uninsured emergency room visit can be very expensive. As I pedaled I prayed, God please make a way. Please let them have mercy on me in my situation and please provide a way for this to be paid for.

In the emergency room we were told, “We’d like to see you, but we cannot help you if you have no money.” We weren’t giving up that easily. I called Ghaith’s social worker and she spoke with the emergency room receptionist. While they spoke, I went to sit down on one of their stiff waiting room chairs. Ghaith sat next to me and a young Brazilian couple, also waiting, came to ask us how much money the hospital wanted from us. We told them, and they offered to pay the entire fee! Just then, the receptionist came and said the hospital would cover the fee, and the doctor would be with us shortly. Praise God! We told the young couple that we wouldn’t need their help, and thanked them for their kindness.

We had to wait quite a bit longer, and while we were waiting another couple, this time Iraqi, asked Ghaith about our situation and offered money if we were in need. We humbly and thankfully declined their offer too. There was another Arab family waiting later, who had two young children. The younger one, a boy of about 4 years, was playing with some toys on the floor, but he seemed more concerned about me than his toys. He kept giving me these curious, worried, empathetic looks. He was so sweet. After that, Ghaith’s cell phone rang. It was his mom calling from Iraq. She asked if everything was ok, saying she had a strange feeling about us. When I heard that, I realized just how much God was watching out for me, and I felt so loved and cared for. I couldn’t help letting a few tears roll.

It turns out I was first hit by heat exhaustion, and then food poisoning. I had been out walking the streets of Amsterdam all day with a few friends who’d come to town for the day. It was the hottest day so far this year. I didn’t wear sunblock or a hat, and we walked around most of the day, stopping little for water or nourishing food. (That’s how I got the heat exhaustion.) We finally stopped for dinner in the evening. I ordered salmon. It had a strange texture, like maybe it was bad or undercooked, but I was so exhausted and hungry that I ate it anyway. (That’s how I got the food poisoning.)

I write this not for sympathy, but to show how good God is. I don’t presently have the funds for health insurance, but God always makes a way. He always cares for me, as I faithfully seek him for everything I need. Alla karim (God provides).

No comments: